Meet David Goodridge
Executive Group Chef for Thanos Hotels
This month we visited David, Executive Group Chef at Thanos Hotels, to find out his favourite and most recommended recipe. Goodridge moved to Cyprus in 2013 and joined the Thanos Group at the Anassa Hotel as Executive Chef.
During the summer months he works mainly out of the Anassa Hotel, but he also regularly travels to Paphos to the Annabelle and Almyra hotels, as part of his role as Executive Chef to the group. Whilst his role does include a lot of administration and management, Goodridge really enjoys being hands-on in the kitchen. He came to the Thanos Group after an illustrious gastronomic career in the UK, Japan, Hong Kong and now Cyprus.
From the Chef’s Table
David’s career began under the guidance of the famous chef, Raymond Blanc, at Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons in Oxford. Le Manoir has a global reputation for fine gastronomy and it is where Goodridge trained at the young age of 16. Whilst working there, he was sent to France to work in various other 3 Michelin star restaurants, as part of his training.
Eight years later, the hotel sent him to Japan, where he worked in two traditional classic restaurants to learn more about Japanese cuisine and culture. He stayed for over a year, working in two locations, Tokyo and Tokushima, to have a full understanding of their cooking.
After this, he worked as Head Chef in the French fine dining restaurant at Gaddi’s, at the prestigious Peninsular Hotel in Hong Kong. He was later headhunted to join the Thanos Group and relocated to live in Latchi. Whilst he comes from a strong background in Asian food, he likes the variety and diversity of all the different restaurants within the Thanos Group. Here, Goodridge shares his recipe with Cyprus in Style Magazine for ‘Melitzanosalata’, or in English, Smoked Aubergine Salad.
TOP FAVOURITE RECIPE
‘Melitzanosalata Pelagos Style’
Smoked Aubergine Salad [Serves 4 portions]
LET’S START BY MAKING THE ‘BLACK TAHINI’…
- 100g Black sesame seeds – roasted
- 50g Extra virgin olive oil
- 10g Garlic clove peeled and pureed with:
- 2g Salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Half a lemon – juiced
- Roast the sesame seeds in a dry pan to release the natural aromas.
- Place in a grinder and blend until a smooth paste.
- Slowly add the olive oil until you have a thick consistency.
- Season with the garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Taste and reserve in the fridge until needed.
NOW, COOK THE AUBERGINES TO PERFECTION…
- 4 Pieces of whole aubergine – washed
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 100g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Piece of red chilli deseeded and finely diced
- 100g Feta cheese
- 10g Coriander finely sliced
- 5g Garlic puree
- Prick the aubergine heavily with a fork and rub with salt.
- Either char lightly over a naked gas burner or grill on a BBQ.
- Place in the oven at 180C for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Allow to cool.
- Peel off the skin and chop into 1cm cubes.
- Add all ingredients.
- Season and taste.
NEXT, PREPARE THE SHEEP’S YOGHURT.
- 50g Local sheep’s yoghurt
- A few drops of Rosewater
Season the sheep’s yoghurt with rosewater to taste.
COMPLETE THE DISH & THEN, ENJOY.
- 20g Roasted pistachios – chopped
- 20 Pieces deep fried Pitta bread croutons
- 50g Feta cheese
- Garden herbs and fresh shoots
- Edible flowers
- 30g Pomegranate kernels
- On a large plate, spoon around with tahini paste.
- In the middle, place the aubergine salad.
- Garnish with roasted pistachios, croutons and crumbled Feta cheese.
- Finish the plate with the herbs, flowers and pomegranate.