FROM THE CHEF’S TABLE
MEET ITALO BASSI
LEADING ITALIAN CHEF
Bassi has led the kitchen at the three Michelin starred restaurant, Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence, for the last 27 years. He now runs his own restaurant called ConFusion in Porto Cervo, in Sardinia, which is described in the latest Michelin guide as “an enchanting, dream-like décor which provides the setting for an unforgettable gourmet cuisine”.
With his background in Tuscany, Bassi was delighted to assist with the testing of the recipe for My Cooking Box. My Cooking Box is a unique idea direct from Italy whereby all the ingredients for this recipe can be bought in one box. The experts have carefully selected all the raw ingredients with special attention to their origin.
PICI TOSCANI is a type of pasta which came originally from Siena in Tuscany and is like a thick hand-rolled fat spaghetti. The pasta, with a sauce of truffles and anchovies, works in perfect harmony with the breadcrumbs. The tastes are further enhanced through the use of the finest garlic oil and the aroma of oregano which take the whole dish to another level.
TRUFFLE PICI WITH BREADCRUMBS & ANCHOVIES
**My Cooking Box includes everything you need to prepare this dish and all ingredients have been sourced from Italy.
PICI – PASTA DI SEMOLA DI GRANO DURO
“Pici” is a simple pasta shape, the name probably deriving from the way it was originally made. This pasta is made in Italy by an artisan pasta maker, where the art of pasta making has been handed down from father to son since 1860.
SALSA CON ACCIUGHE E TARTUFO
This is a prized food from ancient times. Legend has it that the truffle was born of a thunderbolt, thrown near a tree by Jupiter. It is a product with extraordinary flavour that only grows in specific environmental and atmospheric conditions. These combine to make the unique taste. Truffle and anchovies are blended to create an intense sauce, which is perfect to enhance the taste of the “pici” pasta and breadcrumbs.
OLIO EXTRA VERGINE DI OLIVIA – PRODOTTO ITALIANO
The highest quality of olive oil comes from Puglia. Olives are handpicked and carefully selected before being washed and stone-crushed to release the flavour and fragrance. This specific oil has received a wealth of certificates and awards, and also has the great honour of being awarded the “TRE FOGLIE” from GAMBERO ROSSO.
THE ‘PICI TOSCANI’ RECIPE
Once you have your ‘My Cooking Box’, empty the contents and follow these simple instructions. Thankfully someone has already done all the hard work for you!
- Bring 2 litres of water to boil in a large pot (with less water, use salt proportionally).
- Take the sauce out of the package and put into a bowl. Do not worry about the truffle yet.
- Leave anchovies in the package. Take the upper part of the sauce and keep aside in a bowl. Leave anchovies in the bottom of the jar and don’t worry if a little truffle is mixed with anchovies.
- In another bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and the oregano, then add half of the extra virgin olive oil provided and stir.
- Add the cooking salt and the Pici pasta to the boiling water.
- Keep at a low heat and stir gently after 12 minutes to avoid damaging the pasta.
- Heat the remaining garlic-flavoured oil and the anchovies in a frying pan over a medium heat for two minutes, stirring with a spoon until the fish are completely melted.
- For the Pici to be perfectly “al dente”, cook for 20 minutes (or longer if you like softer pasta).
- Drain the cooked pasta and add to the anchovies and the oil in the pan.
- Sauté for about one minute over a low heat.
- Arrange the Pici in the centre of the plate to form a nest shape and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Garnish with 4 teaspoonfuls of the truffle sauce which was previously set aside.
- Add the remaining extra virgin olive oil and enjoy!
The full cooking box range including other recipes are available from all branches of Wine and More by French Depot in Paphos, Limassol and Nicosia. They are also available online with direct delivery from www.teresa-roberto.com.cy.