HOW TO BID ONLINE IN A LIVE AUCTION
Bid online with Castle Auctions, the largest auction house in Cyprus which is based just outside Limassol. There is no better experience than attending an auction in person. The buzz of the saleroom and the opportunity to judge the feeling in the room can never be beaten. However, during these Covid-19 times, Castle Auction House in Limassol is holding all auctions online.
In this article, we look at how an online auction works and how to bid successfully online during the actual auction. Join in the bidding at Castle Auctions and grab yourselves a bargain! Sign up to the Limassol Showroom here.
10 USEFUL GUIDELINES ON HOW TO BID SUCCESSFULLY ONLINE:
1/ HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THE NEXT AUCTION WILL BE?
The first thing to do is to view the Castle Auctions website at www.castle-auctions.com to see when their next auction is taking place. They are typically held every fortnight from their Auction Saleroom in Limassol. Then, register to receive an email notification when catalogues are ready and auction alerts for specific interests.
2/ CAN I VIEW THE ITEMS BEFORE THE AUCTION TAKES PLACE?
Two days prior and on the morning of the actual auction, they hold Viewing Days where you can go and see the items which will be coming up in the next online auction. You are highly recommended to grab this opportunity as this is a chance to check the quality and in some cases, the comfort of the items. At the moment, due to Government advice, social distancing rules still apply during the Viewing Days. Castle Auctions provides hand sanitiser and gloves for everyone attending Castle Auctions Saleroom to view the items.
3/ WHAT KIND OF ITEMS ARE SOLD THROUGH CASTLE AUCTIONS?
Castle Auctions don’t just sell antiques. They have everything including jewellery, paintings, cars, decorative outside pots and furniture, electrical items, and so much more. Each auction is entirely different as they never know what people will bring in to the auction house.
4/ CAN I LEAVE A BID ON THE BOOK FOR THE AUCTION HOUSE TO BID ON MY BEHALF?
On the viewing day, you might decide to leave a bid on the book while you are at the auction house. This involves revealing your top price for that specific item. For example, if there is a chair that you like and you are willing to pay a top price of 50 euros, you leave that bid. If there is interest in the room, the auctioneer will go up, but if not, you will get it for the lowest price when someone else does not bid against you. As Trevor Jones, Director of Castle Auctions, explains, “We use book bids very fairly as hundreds of people trust us to bid on their behalf. They know we will not increase the bid unless there is another active bidder for that lot”.
5/ HOW CAN I BID ONLINE?
Another way to bid at the auction is to register at the Castle Auctions website, and bid live at the sale from the comfort and safety of your home. Trevor told us, “You can either bid live or use the ‘auto bids’ through the website which works like eBay’s maximum bids, where you can record the highest figure you would be prepared to pay which is totally hidden and the computer bids automatically, winning at the next bidding increment, up to the limit you set”.
6/ HOW DO I REGISTER TO BID ONLINE?
Before, during or after browsing the full auction catalogue, you can register (create an account) or login to enjoy Live Bidding and FREE Auction Alerts. Now, you can bid live online with one-click bidding, leave auto bids, absentee bids, and arrange telephone bids. Once the auction has finished, all successful buyers are contacted directly to let them know what they have bought at that particular auction.
- Visit www.Castle-Auctions.com
- To the right of the page, you will see a button that says ‘LOGIN/REGISTER’ (with a dropdown for ‘My Account’ in the Limassol or Nicosia Salerooms).
- Click on it and follow the instructions.
Keep in mind the following points:
- It’s FREE to register and you can stop/unsubscribe at any time. You only need to verify your email address and pop in a few contact details.
- Create separate accounts but keep the same details. If you want to bid at both Limassol and Nicosia auction houses, you will need to create separate accounts for both salerooms. You can use the same email and password for convenience.
- The recommended Internet Browser to use is Google Chrome. If you are an IOS (Apple iPhone / iPad) user, you will need to check their settings. Always make sure that Safari / Privacy & Security / ‘Prevent Cross-Site Tracking’ is OFF, and the ‘Block All Cookies’ is OFF.
- If you are already registered with Castle Auctions, receive their emails or think your email address might already be in their database, you will need to simply reset your password rather than create a new account. Just click ‘forgotten password’ in the login page.
- If you don’t receive your email within a couple of minutes, do check your junk or spam folders. Also, add their email to your contact or ‘white list’ and it should be okay next time!
7/ IS THERE AN AUCTION HOME DELIVERY SERVICE?
After the auction, you can either drive to Castle Auctions Saleroom in Limassol to collect your purchases, or request that your items are delivered to your home anywhere in Cyprus. Due to social distancing, it is always wise to make an appointment to let them know if you are coming to collect from the Limassol Saleroom, so they can have your purchases ready for you. The other alternative is to have them delivered to your home. Payment can be made by bank transfer, PayPal, cash or JCC / card payments at the saleroom (not over the phone), or you can deposit at any branch of the Bank of Cyprus.
8/ HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO ARRANGE HOME DELIVERY?
Delivery costs are not exact, as there are various options and every order is different! Small items can be sent by GAP Akis Express or ACS courier, where Castle Auctions charges a small packing fee, and the buyer pays courier fees on collection. The auctioneers also have their own van and make deliveries island-wide for very reasonable charges. For example, a sofa and two chairs to Paphos might cost 50 euros to be delivered. On some occasions where there are multiple deliveries to the same town, this cost can be reduced. If, as is often the case, the buyer lives overseas, the item is sent through the post or shipped.
9/ SHARE A TIP FOR BIDDING?
Always set a limit before the auction starts. After attending auctions for over 30 years I have learned this the hard way. You can sit and wait for the lot to come up, but when it does, be warned, it is really, really fast. Dither, and it will be gone. Yes, of course, you want the item but always have a top price in front of you for what it is worth to you and stop when the bidding reaches that price. It’s easy to spend too much money on an item because you get carried away!
10/ HOW DO I SIGN UP & STAY IN TOUCH?
- SIGN UP FREE NOW to Castle Auctions. Please visit www.Castle-Auctions.com and follow the instructions further up in this article.
- To stay in the loop about what’s going on at Castle Auctions, register your email address and ‘LIKE’ their Facebook page @CastleAuctions. For Instagram, it’s @castleauctions.
- For any further questions about how to bid online at Castle Auctions’ next online auction, please call 25 391 537 where their very experienced team will be happy to help you.
- Read the Auction Catalogue in full.
Published in June 2020 by Cyprus in Style Media – #InStyleBusinessNetwork