BEST CAKE SHOPS IN PAPHOS
HOMEMADE RASPBERRY & BASIL MARSHMALLOW RECIPE WITH LOVE ISLAND
One of the Best Cake Shops in Paphos – Have you ever tried fresh handmade marshmallow? Raspberry & Basil might not be the flavour combination you would expect to use when cooking marshmallows but, according to Jo Kuflik at Love Island Cakes, “this recipe will totally change your view on marshmallows. They are nothing like the factory-made ones and are utterly delicious! You can create your own flavour combinations using other fresh fruits, such as Strawberry, Blueberry, Passionfruit or by adding other herbs and extracts”.
Following the success of the recent Apple Crumble Cheesecake Recipe, we decided to request another speciality from Love Island Cakes and are delighted to share with you, their new and exclusive Raspberry & Basil Marshmallow Recipe.
RASPBERRY & BASIL MARSHMALLOW RECIPE
Preparation time: approx. 30 minutes.
You’ll Need: Food processor, microwave or bain-marie, cooking thermometer, a large (8″ x 12″ / 20cm x 30cm) baking tray with at least 5cm tall sides, and a medium-sized saucepan.
- 140g Fruit Purée
- 45g Gelatine Powder
- 30g water
- 50g cornflour
- 50g icing sugar
- 320g caster sugar
- 130g glucose
- 100ml water
Egg Whites & Salt:
- Bowl must be thoroughly cleaned and dried
- 70g egg white (two large eggs)
- A pinch of salt
- Start by making your pure fruit purée. Use a food processor to blitz your raspberries, add in a few basil leaves, sieve to remove all seeds, add 30g of water, and pour 45g gelatine powder on top. Stir and set aside to allow time to absorb.
- Prepare your baking tray by lining it with Clingfilm and a good dusting of your marshmallow powder.
- Back to the gelatine mixture – gently heat on low in the microwave in short bursts of 15-25 seconds, stirring each time until it is liquidised, or, heat on a low heat in a bain-marie.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add 100ml water, caster sugar and glucose; heat to 121c using your sugar thermometer. In the meantime, gently whisk egg whites until they are just starting to froth and add the pinch of salt. Once the sugar mixture is at the right temperature, pour it into the egg whites whilst whisking – and add the gelatine mixture.
- Whisk at high speed until it reaches body temperature – around 37c. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Pour your Marshmallow into your tin and spread evenly. Leave to set for 5 minutes or so, then give a good dusting of marshmallow powder over the top. Leave to set somewhere cool and dry overnight.
- The following day, give the top of your Marshmallow another good dusting, turn it out of the tin on to a well-dusted work surface and remove the Clingfilm.
- Add another good shake of powder and also dust your knife – keep the powder handy as the Marshmallow will make your blade sticky!
- Cut into bite-sized portions and shake the pieces through the powder until thoroughly-coated.
If you happen to have any left by the time you have finished tucking in, store in plenty of marshmallow powder at room temperature.
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER EGG YOLKS?
Look out for Part 2 of this article, coming soon! Jo from Love Island Cakes shares her favourite Chocolate Pot Recipe – the perfect accompaniment to enjoy with your homemade marshmallows. It is also an excellent recipe for using up the leftover egg yolks.
DELICIOUS CAKES & GIFTS
Love Island Cakes was established in 2009 in Cyprus and is well-renowned for both the quality of their sweet and savoury treats. While a big part of their business is wedding cakes for couples wanting the best cake on the island, they also offer fresh doughnuts, macarons, cupcakes, carrot cake, lemon cake, and so many more delicious cakes and desserts. If you are after a cake, this is, by far, one of the best cake shops in Paphos. All their cakes are made in-house by Love Island’s team of experts and always made with fresh ingredients. They also have a gift shop on the premises offering a huge exclusive range of cards and presents to make a loved one’s special day just that bit more memorable.
PLACE YOUR MARSHMALLOW ORDER.
Can’t be bothered to make the Marshmallows yourself? No problem. Love Island Cakes can make them for you. To place a Marshmallow Order with your favourite flavour combination or Cake Order with Love Island Cakes, call +357 99 746 860.
Delivery can be arranged across Cyprus for wedding cakes, anniversary cakes, birthday cakes, corporate cakes, and more. Visit their website here for more information.
- Apple Crumble Cheesecake Recipe Exclusively Here … read more.
- Where to Buy Quality Gift & Cake Hampers in Paphos … read more.
- Creating the Ultimate Cake Gift Hamper in Cyprus … read more.
Published by Cyprus in Style Magazine September 2020 – #InStyleBusinessNetwork