ARE YOU OF CYPRIOT ORIGIN?
If you don’t have Cypriot Citizenship, now is the time to reconcile.
Cypriot Citizenship – One of the best law firms in Paphos is Andreas Demetriades & Co LLC. It has been established in the city, since 1970. It has a very strong Immigration Department, which, due to the current Brexit situation, is assisting clients in securing their permanent residency in Cyprus. In this article, Pinelopi Charalampous, a member of the immigration team, explains the process of what all British nationals, who are of Cypriot origin through birth, should be doing at this time.
Meet Pinelopi Charalampous, Immigration & Real Estate Lawyer
Pinelopi was a scholarship student at Frederick University in Cyprus. She then went on to gain two Masters from two different universities in the UK. She has a Master in Common Law from BPP University in London, and a further Master in Commercial and Corporate Law from the Queen Mary University of London. She joined Andreas Demetriades & Co LLC earlier this year as an Immigration and Real Estate Lawyer. As Pinelopi explains, “With Brexit fast approaching, now is the time to seize the opportunity to obtain Cypriot citizenship, based on your origin. Many people are not aware that they can do this, and we are here to assist them, in every part of the application process”.
Regardless of when your British passport was issued, and even if it is valid or expires after Brexit, as a British national, you will still be considered a non-EU national. Hence, all the rights that you have been enjoying, while travelling through EU member states, as well as the right to live and work in all member states, will be lost by the end of 2020. Acquiring Cypriot citizenship, based on your origin, will not only allow you to enjoy these fundamental rights further but will also allow you to keep your British citizenship since the Republic of Cyprus allows dual citizenship.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
The first stage of the procedure is to categorise yourself, depending on the circumstances which are most relevant to you. There are various categories below:
- M71 -Born before the 16th of August 1960 and a citizen of the United Kingdom, or any of its former colonies, and originate from Cyprus by your father’s side, and reside permanently abroad.
- M72 -Born before the 16th of August 1960 and not a citizen of the United Kingdom, or any of its former colonies, and originate from Cyprus by your father’s side.
- M124 – Born before the 16th of August 1960 and are a citizen of the United Kingdom, or any State of the Commonwealth, and have completed one year of legal residence in the Republic of Cyprus.
- M123 – Born before the 16th of August 1960 and originate from a person who became a British citizen, based on the Annexation of Cyprus Orders in Council 1914 to 1943, or a person born in Cyprus after the 5th of November 1914, and before the 16th of August 1960.
- M121 – Born abroad (adult or minor) after the 16th of August 1960 and your father, at the time of birth, was a Cypriot citizen or born after the 11th of June 1999, and your mother, at the time of birth, was a Cypriot citizen.
- M126 – For a minor, whose mother was a Cypriot citizen, at the time of your birth, and your father was a foreigner or a minor whose father or mother acquired the Cypriot citizenship, after your birth, by naturalization or registration.
WHAT DOCUMENTS DO YOU NEED TO PREPARE?
Depending on the category you belong to, different documents must be submitted. However, the ones most often requested, are the following:
- Original Birth Certificate, duly legalised and translated (for documents not issued initially in either Greek or English).
- Photocopy of your Passport.
- Photocopy of your relevant parent’s Cypriot Passport.
- Original certificate of naturalisation or registration of your relevant parent.
- Two passport-size Photographs.
WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP?
At Andreas Demetriades & Co LLC, they are qualified Cypriot Lawyers, with an in-depth knowledge of the law and all the procedures pertaining to Cyprus Immigration Laws. Having their base in Cyprus allows them to solve problems speedily and, therefore, cut out unnecessary delays. The Firm’s wealth of experience, knowledge and resources, offers clients the best possible legal support in obtaining citizenship.
They provide step-by-step guidance throughout the whole process of submitting your application for naturalisation. The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter and does not constitute legal advice. For any further information, please contact Pinelopi Charalampous, Andreas Demetriades & Co LLC, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at +357 26 811 668.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR FRIENDS!
Published by Cyprus in Style Magazine November 2020 | #InStyleBusinessNetwork | Cypriot Citizenship
Copyright Cyprus in Style Magazine 2020 – All rights reserved
SUBSCRIBE TO RECEIVE OUR UPCOMING MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
ABOUT CYPRUS IN STYLE
Cyprus in Style is the fastest-growing lifestyle and business network written in the English language in Cyprus. Stay in touch for exclusive interviews with local personalities, articles on business, property, gastronomy, wine, art and more! Offering a high-quality reader experience and strong positioning in Advertising for selected businesses across the island. Browse our Directory.
ABOUT ANDREAS DEMETRIADES & CO LLC
Top Lawyers Paphos – Andreas Demetriades & Co is one of the most trusted law firms in Paphos and is renowned for its confidential, high-quality, timely and cost-effective legal services. They offer a wealth of knowledge and guidance in various sectors, including the Cyprus Investment Programme & Immigration Services, Real Estate & Investments, Banking & Finance Law, Civil & Criminal Litigation, Commercial & Corporate Law, Employment Law, Wills & Probate and much more. To view their website, please click here.